The Guest House Management: Short Course is the first of (3) three Guest House Management Courses that we offer. This course gives students the basic skills to:
- Start their own guest house
- Convert their homes into a guest houses
- Work as a Guest House Manager
The Guest House Management Courses that follow are:
The Guest House Management: Short Course is a perfect option for you if you love working with people and making their vacations memorable.
|Certificate Type||Events Management Certificate Course|
|Awarded By||Skills Academy|
|NQF Level||Not Applicable|
|SAQA ID||Not Applicable|
|Duration||2 – 4 Months|
Guest House Management: Short Course Subjects
The Guest House Management: Short Course has (3) three subjects. Each Guest House Management subject gives you the basic skills that you need to become a successful Guest House Manager. Pass all of the subjects, and you will receive your Guest House Management: Short Course Certificate.
Complete Subject List
You have to complete (3) three subjects that range from Introduction to Guest House Management to Business English. These are the subjects that you need to focus on for the Guest House Management: Short Course:
- Face-to-face Communication
- Introduction to Business English
- Introduction to Guest House Management
After completing the Guest House Management: Short Course, you can apply for these positions:
- Assistant Manager
- Guest House Manager
- Junior Front House Manager
- Reception Manager
What Will I Learn?
As you progress through different subjects, you acquire different skills. Depending on which subject you choose, you will develop a different skill. Here is what you will learn in the (3) three subjects that you need to complete for the Guest House Management: Short Course Certificate:
Face-to-face Communication: As a Guest House Owner or Guest House Manager, you need to have the basic skills of communicating with people in person. This subject will guide you through the process of communicating with people in a professional manner as well as resolving conflict.
Introduction to Business English: To become successful in business, you must have the skills to communicate with people in different ways. This subject will help you identify and acquire the following skills:
- Body Language
- How to organise and manage meetings
- Learning how to communicate in written work
- Non-verbal communication
- Verbal communication
- Presenting ideas to your staff or employer
Introduction to Guest House Management: You will learn the basic skills of Guest House Management in this subject. Here you will learn about how to start your own business as well as how to supervise a team of employees.
Guest House Management: Short Course Assessments
You will complete a total of (9) nine assignments for the Guest House Management: Short Course. Each subject will require (3) three assignments that need to be completed. After you have passed these assignments, you will get your Short Course Certificate in Guest House Management.
The Guest House Management: Short Course only consists of assignments. You need to pass each subject with 50% or more. If you do not achieve this pass rate, you can submit your assignments again.
The number of times you can resubmit your assignments are endless, and you will not have to pay an extra fee to complete the subject again. You will submit all of your assignments through email.
After completing the (3) three assignments for your first assignment e.g (Face-to-face Communication) you will receive a Certificate of Completion. This indicates that you have completed the subject and have acquired the skills you need for that particular subject.
Here is an example of how you will complete the assignments:
- Face-to-face Communication x 3 assignments
- Introduction to Business English x 3 assignments
- Introduction to Guest House Management x 3 assignments
In total, you will complete (9) nine assignments. Thereafter, you will receive the Guest House Management: Short Course Certificate through courier delivery.
You are not required to write any exams. Our Guest House Management: Short Course is completed through distance learning, which means that you can work and study. It also means that you will not sit in classes at a campus, everything will be done using online tools. This means that you can submit all of your assignments through email.
Guest House Management is the process of managing a Guest House. The Manager can be the person who owns the guest house, or it could be the person that is assigned to the position. Managing a Guest House is generally on a smaller scale because the services provided are more intimate than hotel accommodation.
A Guest House is a type of living arrangement for people that are on vacation. Guest Houses are less luxurious but give customers a comfortable atmosphere.
Here is how you can become a Guest House Manager:
- If you buy a Guest House and decide to manage it
- If you convert your home into a Guest House
- If you apply for any of our Guest House Management Courses and apply for a Guest House Manager position
- If you have work experience in the hospitality industry
Ultimately, it depends on the company’s hiring criteria. You should always research what the company requires before applying for the position.
Yes, there is a short course for Guest House Management. At Matric College, we offer a Guest House Management: Short Course that students can study. This is an open-access course, what does this mean? It means that anyone can apply for this course, you do not have to have a Matric Qualification to apply. You do need to meet these three criteria:
- Be 16 and older
- Be comfortable studying from home
- Understand, read and write English
If you would like to complete a Guest House Management Course at Matric College, you do not require any qualifications. You can study with or without Matric. We offer three (3) Short Courses:
- Guest House Management: Short Course – Complete this course in (4) four months
- Guest House Management: Certificate Course – Complete this course in (8) eight months
- Guest House Management: Comprehensive Course – Complete this course in (12) twelve months
If you are looking to complete a Diploma or Advanced Diploma Course at a university, you need the following qualifications:
- Grade 11 Certificate (With a registration form that you are upgrading your Matric results)
- At Matric College, we offer Matric Upgrade Course that you can complete
- Grade 12 Certificate with the following requirements:
- Pass English with at least 50%
- Motivational Letter
Each university has its own criteria for applicants, and therefore you should always research the university before applying.
The best subject for Guest House Management in High School is:
You must read, write and understand English because you have to communicate with people that come from different countries. English is generally the language most people understand.
The best subject in our Guest House Management: Short Course is:
- Introduction to Guest House Business
This subject is important because it allows our students to learn the basic skills that they need to become successful in the hospitality industry. It also allows you to start your own business.
Yes, Guest House Management is a good career. Here are some of the reasons why it is a good career choice:
- You will always meet new people with different backgrounds and cultures
- You will get to manage a team of people
- You can use the skills learned as a Guest House Manager in any other industry
- You are always learning new skills
If you want to be a successful Guest House Manager, you must have the following skills:
- Good time management skills
- Good listening skills
- Good communication skills
- The ability to resolve conflict
- Enjoy being in contact with guests
Guest House Managers’ duties depend on the size of the business. Most importantly, Guest House Managers should be able to complete all of the duties that are required for a Guest House. This includes:
- Administrative Work (Bookings, financial skills)
- Welcoming guests (Work at the front desk)
Here is what a Guest House Manager earns in South Africa:
R 13 770 per month
The average salary for a Guest House Manager is R 13 770 per month in South Africa.
Your Next Step Is To Get Guest House Management: Certificate Course
You can find employment after completing the Guest House Management: Short Course, but you can also further your studies in Guest House Management. The course that follows our Guest House Management: Short Course is the Guest House Management: Certificate Course.
You do not need to have a Matric Qualification to complete the Guest House Management: Certificate Course, and you also do not have to complete the Guest House Management: Short Course to gain entry.
Why Choose To Study With Matric College?
Studying at Matric College is like staying at home and submitting assignments through email. Here is why you should choose our college:
- You do not have to write any exams. The Guest House Management: Short Course only requires you to submit assignments through email.
- Do not take study leave or quit your job. We are a distance learning college, which means that you will not have a fixed schedule to attend classes. You only submit assignments through email.
- Join a COVID friendly institution. Since you are not attending any classes, you will not interact with other students or lecturers. This means that you will be safe from being exposed to COVID.
- Pay less than half for quality education. Distance learning is more affordable than university, which means that you save money.
- Complete Matric Courses and Post-Matric Courses. We offer courses you can complete without Matric, we offer courses you can complete to get your Matric or to improve your Matric marks. We even have courses that you can complete with any Matric Pass Level.
- Study anywhere in the world. You do not have to attend any classes, which means that you can study from anywhere in the world as long as you have the appropriate online tools such as an email address to submit your assignments for the Guest House Management: Short Course
Yes, a Guest House business can be profitable. If you promote your business well and give excellent services, you can make a success out of your Guest House business. To gain the best skills to open up your own Guest House business, you can complete these courses:
- Guest House Management: Short Course
- Guest House Management: Certificate Course
- Guest House Management: Comprehensive Course
If you are looking to gain more business-related experience and skills, you can complete any of our Business Management Courses:
To gain skills and knowledge on how to promote your business well, you can apply for any of our NATED Marketing Courses.
A guest house business is part of the hospitality industry. It can also be considered part of the tourism accommodation industry. The Guest House industry can be considered a form of lodging or Bed and Breakfast setting.
Guest House accommodation is usually affordable and makes people feel comfortable as they would if they were at home. Guest Houses are generally located in rural and urban areas.
Guest House accommodations generally offer the following amenities:
- Swimming pool
This form of accommodation is generally self-catering and will seldom offer breakfast. People choose this type of accommodation because it is affordable and more intimate than other vocational accommodation.
Yes, guest services are the same as customer services. Both are types of services that are in favour of individuals that are paying for a service or a product. You always want to make your customer feel welcome and satisfied with your products and services. This is not only for moral reasons, but it is also good for business.
A happy customer can promote your product and services to other potential customers and may continue using your services or products.
A Guest Relations job description is as follows:
- Ensure that customers are receiving the best services
- Resolve any conflict amongst customers and employees
- Use the feedback that you receive from customers to improve the services delivered by staff
Here is the salary of a Guest Relations Manager:
R 10 482 per month
The average salary for a Guest Relation is R 10 482 per month in South Africa.
The highest paying position in a Hospitality is a Hospitality Director position. These individuals generally manage a franchise of hotels. Their salary on average per month is R 32 100. This is the lowest amount a Hospitality Director can earn. Their salary can go up to R 100 000 making this industry extremely competitive.
The application process at many institutions can be lengthy, but at Matric College you only need to follow these (3) three steps:
The first step to completing the Guest House Management: Short Course with us is to apply with us. This would include you making contact with us or you allowing us to make contact with you. If you want to contact us, please use the following information:
- Register online by completing the form
- Ask us to call you
- WhatsApp us on (072 799 4195)
- Give us a call on this number (012 762 7100)
These are our office hours:
The next step you can take is to contact one of our Course Experts. They can assist you with any course you choose to complete. If we do not have a course that is suited to your interests, then we will advise you on other courses you can take.
The final step that you can take is to become a Matric College student. This means that you qualify for your first batch of study material. Read through the study material and complete your entire Guest House Management: Short Course.
How Do I Study Guest House Management: Short Course?
The Guest House Management: Short Course will be studied through distance learning. Distance education is a type of learning that allows students to study from home. Our distance learning college allows students to only submit assignments through email. Here are the (10) ten steps:
Step 1: Register for the Guest House Management: Short Course
Step 2: Speak to any of our Course Experts about the Guest House Management: Short Course
Step 3: Officially become a student at Matric College
Step 4: Receive your first batch of study material via courier delivery
Step 5: Read through the study material to get an idea of what to expect. If you do not understand the work, contact our tutors.
Step 6: Attempt the first subject for the Guest House Management: Short Course
Step 7: Get detailed feedback from our lecturers
Step 8: Use the feedback for the following assignment or to pass the assignment.
Step 9: Get your next batch of study material until you have completed all of the subjects for the Guest House Management: Short Course. Your Certificate for the Short Course in Guest House Management will be couriered.
Step 10: You can apply for the next course, which is the Guest House Management: Certificate Course
Where Can I Study Guest House Management: Short Course?
You can study Guest House Management: Short Course at Matric College. We offer this course to students with any educational background (You can apply with our without Matric) and any location (You can study from anywhere in the world).
When Can I Start Studying Guest House Management: Short Course?
You can study the Guest House Management: Short Course any time of the year. There is no registration cut off date. This means that you decide when you want to apply for the course. The future of your studies is in your hands.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of the questions that students ask which are related to Guest House Management:
- Can I get a job with a short course certificate?
- Is a guest house a company?
- Does a guest house add value?
- How do I start a small guest house?
- What is The difference between B&B and guest house?
- Do guest houses provide food?
- What do you call a small guest house?
- What should a guest house include?
Yes, you can get a job with a Short Course Certificate. Employers do accept Short Course Certificates because these courses:
- Give you specific skills
- Allow you to work and study
- Gives you skills fast
No, a Guest House is not a company, it is however a business.
Yes, a Guest House does add value because it provides intimacy, something that a lot of vacation accommodation does not provide.
You can start a small Guest House by:
- Converting your home into a Guest House
- By Buying a well known Guest House
People will stay at a B&B for one night only and at a Guest House for a couple of days.
Yes, some Guest Houses do provide breakfast and sometimes even supper.
You can call a small guest house:
- Boarding house
A guest house should include:
- Closet space
- Clean bedding/ extra warm bedding
- Plug-in stations for mobile phones
Other Guest House Management Courses
Author: Jesmé Africa
Editor: Amy Venter
Date Published: May 18, 2022