Adult Matric – Amended Senior Certificate
No matter how many years you have been out of school, you still have the chance to get an Umalusi accredited matric certificate. If you are over the age of 21 and have a grade 9 certificate, you meet the requirements to start our Adult Matric course.
Adult Matric Certificates or Amended National Certificates will give you the same certificate as traditional high school Matric (National Senior Certificate).
Watch our College Principal explain ALL the details about the Adult Matric course.
|Course||Course: Amended Senior Certificate|
|Programme Type||National Qualification|
|Award Type||Senior Certificate|
|Award Issued By||Umalusi|
|Course Duration||12 to 24 months recommended|
|NQF Level||Level 4|
|SAQA ID Number||49647|
Accreditation and Registration
The traditional matric year is the final school year in South Africa, making it the top-school leaving qualification. This Adult Matric course is offered by Matric College who is registered by the Institute of Certified Bookkeepers for the QCTO.
As an educational body, there is no accreditation process to register to offer Adult Matric.
Matric certificates are also known as National Senior Certificates and hold the following accreditation and registration:
- SAQA ID Number: 49647
- NQF Level 4
How does it work?
From registering with Matric College to writing your Adult Matric examinations with the Department of Basic education, there are a few easy steps you will need to follow:
- Step 1: Give our course experts a call and register for the Adult Matric Course.
- Step 2: Within 5-7 days of your successful registration, your study material will be couriered to your door.
- Step 3: You will be given access to our WhatsApp study groups.
- Step 4: Now that you have done enough coursework to submit your first assignment to our tutors, you will get comprehensive feedback and an overall mark to track your progress.
- Step 5: As you continue your studies, remember to talk to your fellow students and tutors if you struggle or need any extra help.
- Step 6: Access our collection of past papers to test your knowledge and to prepare for your final Adult Matric exams.
- Step 7: Once the Adult Matric examination registrations open around November, we help you register for your exams.
- Step 8: You will be invited to attend our online exam preparation courses that will help you prepare for your final exams.
- Step 9: Your Adult Matric exams will be written around May and June.
- Step 10: Passing your Adult Matric exams means that you will receive a matric certificate which is accredited by Umalusi.
What do I get from the College?
Choosing to study through Matric College not only means an improved education, but it also means constant support. When you choose us you can expect:
- All your study material is included in your fees.
- Matric College has specially developed study notes for distance learning students to get the best out of their experience.
- We give you access to past papers and model answers to prepare you to the best of your ability.
- Your fellow students, tutors, and lecturers will all be available on WhatsApp groups to help you with any questions that need answering. They will be there to give you all the support you need through your Adult Matric journey.
- From 8 am-5 pm, you will be able to access academic support.
- Our team will mark your assignment and give you the feedback you need to improve in the areas that you are struggling with.
- We will check in with you to make sure that you stay motivated.
- To make sure that you stay on track, we help you create the optimal study schedules.
- You will have our help when it comes to registering for your Adult Matric exams in November.
- With Matric College, you will have enough time to complete your Adult Matric course. After you have paid your course fees in full, you can add an additional year of study time at no extra cost.
What does the College require from me?
Make Use of Your Study Schedule
By using a well-structured study schedule, you will have gone over all of your work enough time before your actual exams. A proper timetable breaks up your course work into manageable sections that make your studying easier and more productive.
Matric College will help you create the optimal study schedule to suit you. All you need to do is follow it.
Completed All Your Course Work
Make sure that you complete all your assigned coursework so that it can be marked and feedback can be given.
This way you will be able to understand where you went wrong and how you can improve before your actual exams.
Ask If You Do Not Understand
When there are sections of your work that you are struggling to understand, you must reach out to your peers or tutors for help.
Your tutors are there to help you with any issues you may have when studying to ensure that you get the best marks possible in your final exams.
Get Involved In Your Studies
One of the best ways to ensure that you understand your work is through participation. When you actively participate in your study groups, you will learn new information and feel more confident to ask questions.
Help and receive help from your fellow students, too. They might understand something you do not and vice versa.
Use The Exam Preparation Tools
Matric College will give you access to all the exam preparation tools that you will need to succeed. This includes past papers that can help you understand how exam questions will be asked and how they should be answered for the best marks.
Using past papers to study for exams is one of the best ways of ensuring that you pass your Adult Matric subjects.
Know What To Do If Things Go Wrong
Whether you require extra tutoring, motivation, or advice, all you have to do is use our Red Alert Form.
Once you have completed the form, it will be sent directly to the CEO of Matric College and we will figure out how best to help you.
What is NOT Included in the Course?
The final Adult Matric exam fees are not included in your Adult Matric fees.
Once you have finished studying and are ready to write your Adult Matric exams, you will be required to pay a fee to the Exam Centre where you choose to write your exams.
What do I need to Register for the Adult Matric programme?
When you are thinking of registering for the Adult Matric programme, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must have passed grade 9 and have the report or certificate as proof.
- A grade 9 equivalent certificate (ie. an ABET certificate) is an NQF level 1 that has to include two official languages.
- You must be 21 years old when you write your exams. However, you can be 19 years old when you apply.
- Since the Matric College Adult Matric course is in English, you must be able to read and write in English. You also have the option of doing your Adult Matric in Afrikaans.
How long does it take?
In the South African education system, matric is technically a three-year programme starting in grade 10. This means that grade 10, 11, and 12 work is included in your final matric exams.
This is the same for an Adult Matric course. You could potentially study it and write your exams in less than 3 years but you will still be studying the work of 6 subjects from grades 10, 11, and 12.
Some students can complete their Adult Matric course in a single year whilst most students tend to take 2 years to finish their course.
Doing your Adult Matric in two years means that you can do 3 of your subjects in the first year and the remainder of your subjects in the second. This way you will be able to spread out your workload so that it is more doable.
How much does it cost?
For all information about Adult Matric fees and payment, contact our course experts.
How does distance learning studies work at Matric College?
Matric College is a distance learning college. Distance learning differs from contact learning in that:
- Your Adult Matric registration will happen over the phone.
- All of your study material will be couriered to your door.
- You will not need to buy any extra study material. Matric College provides all the study material that you will need to pass your Adult Matric course.
- Once received, you can start working on your studies and assignments.
- You can send your assignments to our skilled tutors to have them marked.
- Our tutors will give you in-depth feedback on your work so that you know where you can improve.
- Throughout your studies, you can talk to our tutors and your classmates on designated Whatsapp groups. This is a great space to ask for advice, support, or to have any of your questions answered.
- Closer to the exam period, Matric College will have online exam preparation workshops to get you ready for your final exams.
- With the past papers that we offer all our students, you will have the ultimate tools to help you in your exam preparation.
- We assist you in the exam registration process that usually opens in November each year.
- If you decide to do your Adult Matric course over two years, it will not cost you more.
What Is The Difference Between The Adult Matric Certificate, And A School Matric Certificate?
The Certificates Are The Same
Whether you finish your high school matric or your Adult Matric, the certificates look the same. That means that you will not be able to tell if you completed your matric in high school or as an Adult Matric learner.
Both certificates are also accredited by Umalusi.
The Mark Calculation and Study Process is Different
Traditional high school matric marks are made up of your year’s work and your exams. This includes tests, assignments, speeches, and exams. All these marks contribute towards your high school matric mark.
When you do your Adult Matric certificate, the only mark that is used is your exam mark. That means that none of the classwork that you do contributes to your final mark.
The mark that you will see on your matric certificate after completing your Adult Matric will be your exam mark only.
How To Choose Your Subjects For The Adult Matric
When it comes to choosing your matric subjects, you have to think about your potential career. If you are thinking of going to university, you will have to choose subjects that are required when applying to the course of your choice.
Research the field of study that you want to go into and see what subjects are required to apply.
If you are looking to improve your CV or just eager to study for a post-matric certificate or diploma, then you can choose subjects that you know you will pass.
Choosing your subjects is a big deal, that is why it is always a great idea to speak to one of our course experts who can help guide you through your decision-making process.
There is also a lot of information about subject choices and rules that you should consider before deciding on your Adult Matric subjects.