Watch the College principal explain everything you need to know about the requirements of NATED Courses.
Business Management Courses (NATED)
What is Business Management?
Business Management involves the running and maintaining of a profitable business. The responsibilities of a Business Manager include:
- Setting goals for staff, teams, and the organisation.
- Making it possible for these above-mentioned goals to be met.
- Train both existing staff and new employees.
- Act as a spokesperson for the organisation.
- Set work schedules.
- Recruiting new staff members.
- Ensuring that all staff meet their KPIs.
Why Should I Choose Business Management?
There are many reasons that you should choose to study for a National Qualification in Business Management. These include:
- Employment opportunities: Having a tertiary qualification will raise your chance of employment. Over 50% of the unemployed people in South Africa only have a matric certificate. Once you have a qualification further than matric, you are more likely to find work.
- It is a scarce skill: Scarce skills are qualifications or skill sets that are rare and in demand. Most companies need these skills to function. That means that not only will you find a job quickly, but you will always have job security.
- Your job application will be favoured: All NATED courses are specially designed to include both practical and theoretical learning. That means that once your qualification has been completed, you already have practical experience. It is because of this that employers will favour you since they do not have to train you.
- Your earning potential is higher: With both a scarce skill and a tertiary qualification, you have a higher earning potential.
Here are the application requirements for each National Qualification level in Business Management:
N4 Business Management National Certificate Course: Matric certificate or a matric equivalent certificate.
N5 Business Management National Certificate Course: N4 National Certificate in Business Management.
N6 Business Management National Certificate Course: N5 National Certificate in Business Management.
N6 Business Management National Diploma: To achieve an N6 National Diploma in Business Management, you must have passed your N6 National Qualification in Business Management and have done 18 months of industry-related work experience.
This work experience must be noted in a logbook which must then be approved by the Department of Higher Education and Training.
Possible Careers With a Business Management Qualification
With a qualification in Business Management, you can go into the following career fields:
- Supply Chain Manager.
- Business Manager.
- Office Manager.
- Account Manager.
- Digital Account Manager.
- Sales Manager.
- Marketing Manager.
- Office Administrator.
- Management Consultant.
What are NQF Levels?
NQF Levels are formally known as National Qualification Framework Levels. NQF Levels are used as a measurement tool against which all accredited courses in South Africa are measured.
All courses are measured with the same requirements and are ranked by an NQF level. NQF levels work in the following ways:
- NQF Level 1: Grade 9 or equivalent certificate
- NQF Level 2: Grade 10 or equivalent certificate
- NQF Level 3: Grade 11 or equivalent certificate
- NQF Level 4: Grade 12 or equivalent certificate
- NQF Level 5: Higher Certificate
- NQF Level 6: National Diploma/Advanced Certificate
- NQF Level 7: Bachelor’s Degree and Advanced Diploma
- NQF Level 8: Honours Degree/ Postgraduate Diploma
- NQF Level 9: Masters Degree
- NQF Level 10: Doctorate Degree
Business Management NQF Levels
Here are the NQF levels for each National Qualification Business Management National Qualification:
N4 National Certificate in Business Management: NQF Level 5.
N5 National Certificate in Business Management: NQF Level 5.
N6 National Certificate in Business Management: NQF Level 5.
N6 National Diploma in Business Management: NQF Level 6 (only attainable with 18 months of approved work experience.)
Getting a National Diploma Without a Diploma Pass
Even if you pass matric with a National Senior Certificate Pass, you can still work your way to a National Diploma. Here is how:
- Pass your N4 National Qualification in Business Management. You can apply for this course with a matric certificate.
- Pass your N5 National Qualification in Business Management. You can apply for this course with your N4 National Certificate in Business Management.
- Pass your N6 National Qualifications in Business Management. You can apply for this course with your N5 National Certificate in Business Management.
- Now that you have your N6 National Certificate in Business Management, you are required to complete 18 months of industry-related work experience. This work experience will need to be recorded in a specific logbook constructed by the Department of Higher Education and Training. Once completed, you will have to send it to the Department of Higher Education and Training for approval. After it has been approved, you qualify for an N6 National Diploma in Business Management.
The Department of Higher Education and Training has a specific National Qualification work experience logbook for their Business Management study stream.
Choosing Matric College
There are many reasons why a distance learning college such as Matric College would be a good choice for you to further your studies.
Benefits of Studying With Matric College
When you are deciding where to study your National Qualification in Business Management, it is important to choose the right educational institution. Understanding why Matric College is the best institution for you comes down to these benefits:
- You can study from anywhere in the country: Since Matric College is a distance learning institution, you will be able to study from anywhere in the country. That also means that you can work from the comfort of your home. Or, anywhere else that you see fit.
- You will be saving money: Being able to work from home means that you do not have to organise transport or alternate accommodation to get to your classes.
- You do not have to pay extra for study material: All of your study material with Matric College is included in your course fees.
- We give all of our students unlimited academic support: Our academic tutors are available from 8 am to 5 pm every weekday. They will help you with assignment feedback, any academic support, and exam advice.
Distance learning is the perfect tertiary institution choice for the following reasons:
- You will not be disturbed by COVID-19 regulations: Since you will not have to go into classes, you are not going to be disturbed by lockdown regulations. With distance learning, courses are already structured to be done via correspondence. That means there are not going to be nearly as many hiccups as there would be with class-based institutions going online.
- You save money: Distance learning courses are often a lot cheaper than classroom learning courses. Not to mention the amount of money you can save on transport and accommodation.
- You will learn a whole new set of skills: Distance learning will teach you a lot of new skills that will help you flourish in your career. This includes skills like time management, computer skills, research skills, communication skills, and diligence.
Looking to gain practical work experience that will set you apart from all other applicants?
Sign up for DHET’s FREE placement service either after, or during your studies!Your online profile will be matched with employers in your field who are looking for people like you to take part in Work Integrated learning (WIL) and Worplace Based Learning (WBL).
Jan Badenhorst, CEO of Matric College, discusses everything you need to know about the requirements for NATED Courses
Our Business Management Qualification (NATED) Courses
Author: Andrea Frisby
Last Updated: Sanel Van Staden, 2 August 2021