- What is an Amended National Senior Certificate?
- Subjects Offered In the Adult Matric Programme
- Adult Matric Examinations
- Adult Matric at Matric College
- Why You Should Choose Your Adult Matric
Watch the College Principal explain everything you need to know about Adult Matric.
What is An Amended National Senior Certificate?
An Amended National Senior Certificate is given to you once you have completed the Adult Matric course. Adult Matric is a great choice if you were not able to finish or reach your matric year.
No matter how many years you have been out of school, you still have the chance to get your matric certificate.
How Do I Pass My Amended National Senior Certificate?
This is your chance to ace your Amended National Senior Certificate or Adult Matric course. Here is how you can approach your studies in such a way that you are more likely to achieve the best possible marks.
- Creating a proper study schedule: A proper study schedule is the best way to ensure that you get enough of your work done. This way, you can spread out all the work you need to complete over a set period. By doing this, you can be sure that all your work will be covered before your exams.
- Studying for the right amount of time: Your brain is most able to retain information in study sessions that are between 30 and 60 minutes long. This will ensure that you are getting the most out of each study session. You need to have a 10-minute break between study sessions too. This will ensure that you rest your brain, eyes, and body before getting back into your work.
- Getting enough sleep: Without enough sleep, you will not be able to study successfully. You will also not be able to retain any information.
- Practicing past papers: Past papers are a great way to prepare yourself for the examination period. By practicing past papers, you will be able to get a better idea of what questions will be asked and how exactly they should be answered. Past papers will also give you a better idea about how much of your work you know.
- Asking questions: Make sure that you ask questions. Make use of your tutor and class groups online to ask your questions and make sure that you understand the work.
An important thing to remember about the Adult Matric course is that all of your marks come from your final exams.
Who Qualifies For An Amended National Senior Certificate?
You qualify for the Amended National Senior Certificate if you meet the following requirements:
- You have a grade 9 certificate, OR
- You have not completed your matric certificate,
- You are over the age of 21 when you write your examinations. However, you can be 19 years old when you apply.
Amended Senior Certificate Online Registration 2021
The registration for the 2021May/ June exams closed at the end of March 2021. Usually, the examination registration for Adult Matric opens in October or November until about the end of January the following year.
When the registration for 2022 opens, the registration will work as follows:
- You can go to the Department of Education’s E-services website to register.
- You can register at a Provincial Education Office.
You will need the following documentation to be able to register for your Amended Senior Certificate:
South African Nationals:
- Your completed registration form.
- A certified copy of your ID or birth certificate.
- For students who have written a grade 12 or equivalent exam before application, they must provide proof of the respective examination numbers.
South African nationals living abroad can register for Adult Matric. They must, however, be in the country for their Adult Matric exams.
- Certified copy of your passport.
- Proof of highest qualification.
- Proof of study permit.
What You Need To Know About Adult Matric
- Where To Study For Adult Matric
- How To Get Your Matric As An Adult
- Does UNISA Accept An Amended Senior Certificate?
- Pictures of An Amended Senior Certificate
Where to Study for Adult Matric
If you are thinking of studying your Adult Matric course, there are a few educational institutions that you can choose from:
- Matric College.
- Skills Academy.
- Bellview Institute of Distance Learning.
- The Learning Group.
How To Get Your Matric As An Adult
If you are over the age of 21, you can still get your matric certificate. As long as you meet all of the requirements, you can apply to get your Adult Matric certificate.
You can choose an educational institution, such as Matric College, to help you with your study material, tutoring, and examination applications.
Does Unisa Accept An Amended Senior Certificate
Yes. An Amended Senior Certificate is the same as the matric certificate that you would get at the end of your high school matric year.
That means that you can use it to apply to further your education at higher learning institutions.
Pictures Of An Amended Senior Certificate
An Amended National Senior Certificate looks the same as a traditional matric certificate.
Required Documentation For Your Application
When applying for a course in Adult Matric, you must have the following documentation:
South African Candidates
- Your Grade 9 (or higher) School Report, OR
- Your Matric Results (even if you failed)
Foreign National Candidates
When Can You Enroll?
You can enrol for the Adult Matric programme with Matric College at any time in the year. Just keep in mind that you need to start studying early and that you need to register for the exams in time.
Exam registrations usually open in November and close at the end of January, for the May / June exams. You want to register as early as you can, to ensure you get a seat in the exam.
And you should register for your Adult Matric so that you have enough time to properly study all your subjects between now and the exams in May / June next year.
Studying six full matric subjects will take you at least a year. Many students do three subjects in the first year, and the other three the next year.
Subjects Offered In The Adult Matric Programme
- Choosing your subjects
- Recognised subjects
- How many subjects do you have to choose?
Choosing Your Subjects
When it comes down to choosing your subjects, you have to follow these guidelines:
- You must choose 2 official language subjects. One at a Home Language level and the other at a First Additional Language level.
- The remaining 4 subjects can be any recognised subjects in the other subjects lists.
First Additional Languages
Second Additional Languages
Other Subjects in English
Other Subjects in Afrikaans
- Besigheid studies (Business Studies)
- Ekonomie (Economics)
- Fisiese Wetenskap (Physical Science)
- Gasvryheid (Hospitality Studies)
- Geografie (Geography)
- Geskiedenis (History)
- Ingenieursgrafika en ontwerp (Engineering Graphics and Design)
- Inligtings Tegnologie (Information Technology)
- Landboubestuurspraktyk (Agricultural Management Practices)
- LandbouTegnologie (Agricultural Technology)
- Landbouwetenskappe (Agricultural Sciences)
- Lewensorientering (Life Orientation)
- Lewenswetenskappe (Life Sciences)
- Rekeningkunde (Accounting)
- Verbruikerstudies (Consumer Studies)
- Wiskunde (Mathematics)
How Many Subjects Do You Have To Choose?
To meet the pass requirements for the Amended National Senior Certificate, you have to choose a total of 6 subjects.
The other pass requirements are as follows:
- 3 subjects must be passed with a minimum of 40%. 1 of these subjects must include a Home Language subject.
- 2 subjects must be passed with a minimum of 30%. 1 of these subjects must include a First Additional Language OR Home Language Subject.
- The 6th and final subject must be passed with at least 20%.
Adult Matric Examinations
- Preparing for your Adult Matric examinations.
- Studying for your Adult Matric examinations.
- Completing your Adult Matric examinations.
Preparing for Your Adult Matric Exams
The best way to ensure that you pass your Adult Matric exams is to be well prepared and to make sure that you study enough, get enough sleep, have a killer study schedule, and most importantly, believe that you can do it.
Before you even start studying, it is important to use positive affirmations to remind yourself that you do indeed have the ability to pass and do well. After this, you will feel more confident in tackling your workload.
Examples of positive study affirmations include:
- I am excited to learn something new today.
- I can pass this subject.
- I am more than capable of passing my matric exams.
- I can change my prospects.
- I can achieve my study goals.
The best way to do well in your exams is to practice past papers until you are confident enough to register for the exam period. This way you will not only understand how the questions will be asked but also the best way of answering them.
Stress plays a big part in our academic success. When we stress too much about our work, it becomes challenging to study to the best of our ability.
That is why it is important to use stress management tactics to avoid feeling overwhelmed. These include:
- Breathing exercises: Breathing exercises help because deep breathing tells our brain to relax. Practise meditation and other exercising using apps such as Headspace to help reduce your stress levels.
- Goal settings: Setting your goals will help clear your mind and your stress levels. Knowing what you are working towards can help give you more drive or clarity.
- Structured study periods: Getting a set amount of work done in a certain amount of time eases your anxiety. If you know that you will get through all your work before your exams by sticking to a study schedule, you will not stress as much about achieving your goals.
- Study groups: Study groups are a great way for you to feel supported by other students in your situation. They also provide a space where you can ask questions and learn more about your theory.
- External support: Sometimes the best way to get rid of your stress is by talking to a friend, family member, or even a professional. This way, you can get your feelings out and find a new perspective on your current problems.
Studying For Your Adult Matric Examinations
Here are a few tips when it comes to studying for your Adult Matric examinations:
- Keep a schedule.
- Keep up to date with your work.
- Make use of past papers.
- Play an active part in your subjects.
Keep A Schedule
A study schedule will give you a good idea about how much work you have and how it should be broken up. Create a study schedule so that you can space out your whole syllabus, including revision time, before your exams.
Keep Up To Date With Your Work
To make sure that you get the best marks possible, it is important to keep up to date with your work. Stick to your study schedule so that you can make sure that you learn all the sections you need to before your examinations.
The best study periods are between 30 and 60 minutes with a 10-minute break between sessions. Also, be sure to include breaks.
Make Use Of Past Papers
Play An Active Part In Your Subjects
Ask questions, speak to tutors and join lesson groups. If you play an active role in your studies, you are more likely to understand the work and absorb the theory. If you don’t understand, ask.
Completing Your Adult Matric Examinations
Adult Matric At Matric College
- What Matric College Offers.
- How Matric College Helps Your Studies.
- Choosing Distance Learning.
What Matric College Offers
When you choose Matric College for your Adult Matric course, you can expect the following:
- Your study material will be couriered to you between 5 and 7 working days of your successful application.
- Matric College will help you with all your Adult Matric examination registration. Your Exam fees are NOT included in the course fee.
- All necessary fees are included in your initial course fees. This includes tutoring groups and study material.
How Matric College Helps Your Studies
Matric College is there to assist you throughout your entire Adult Matric journey to ensure that you are well prepared for your exams to achieve great marks
- Tutoring groups: We have a great team of online tutors that are there to help you throughout your Matric College study experience. You will have access to online groups where you can ask both your tutors and your classmates for assistance as you study towards your matric certificate.
- Be well prepared for your exam: Matric College makes your studying easier by giving you access to valuable study tips and past exam papers which will help you prepare for your exams. You will also get the opportunity to join our exam preparation workshops.
- Your study material is included: All of your study material is included in your overall fees. That means that you will not have to buy any course material over and above registering for the course.
- We get you started as soon as you register: Once you have completed your registration and made the necessary payments, your study material will be delivered to your door in 5-7 working days.
- You will have help registering for your exams: You do not need to worry about the stress of registering for your exams. We will make sure that you get registered when you are ready to write.
- You have enough time: No matter how long you take to complete your studies, you will not have to pay more. You have enough time to complete your studies in a time frame that suits you. With matric College, your second year of studying will be free if you decide to study your Adult Matric course over 2 years.
Choosing Distance Learning
Choosing distance learning to complete your Adult Matric course is a great decision. This is because:
- You can study at home: With distance learning, you can study from the comfort of your home.
- You can keep your job: The great thing about distance learning is that you can work and study at the same time. Since you do not have to go to class, you can study before or after work.
- It is affordable: Distance learning is cheaper because you do not have to travel or make alternative accommodation arrangements.
- You still get the benefits: You will still have tutor support, online class chat groups, and access to past papers.
Why You Should Choose Adult Matric
- Career Opportunities.
- Educational Opportunities.
- Overall Achievement.
With a matric certificate, you will have many more career opportunities. Many employers and HR managers only hire candidates that have matric certificates.
It is also important to remember that the higher your level of education, the more likely you are to find employment. That includes both your matric certificate and any further education that you complete after it.
Looking at the infographic below, 55.9% of unemployed South Africans do not have a matric certificate. Whilst the South Africans that suffer the least with unemployment are Bachelor’s Degree holders at an unemployment rate of only 1.9%.
By having a matric certificate, you move your chances of unemployment from over 50% to 34.7%. Furthering your studies by even just one more year after matric changes these unemployment chances to 6.8%.
With a matric certificate, you can go on to study National Qualification (NATED) courses such as:
- N4 National Certificate in Business Management
- N5 National Certificate in Business Management
- N6 National Certificate in Business Management
- N4 National Certificate in Educare
- N5 National Certificate in Educare
- N6 National Certificate in Educare
- N4 National Certificate in Financial Management
- N5 National Certificate in Financial Management
- N6 National Certificate in Financial Management
- N4 National Certificate in Human Resource Management
- N5 National Certificate in Human Resource Management
- N6 National Certificate in Human Resource Management
- N4 National Certificate in Legal Secretary
- N5 National Certificate in Legal Secretary
- N6 National Certificate in Legal Secretary
- N4 National Certificate in Management Assistant
- N5 National Certificate in Management Assistant
- N6 National Certificate in Management Assistant
- N4 National Certificate in Marketing Management
- N5 National Certificate in Marketing Management
- N6 National Certificate in Marketing Management
The Institute of Certified Bookkeepers offers courses in 3 scarce skill study streams. Each of these qualifications can help you further your education and build a successful career. These study streams include:
- National Certificate in Junior Bookkeeping
- FET Certificate in Senior Bookkeeping
- National Diploma in Technical Financial Accounting
- National Diploma in Certified Financial Accounting
- National Certificate in Small Business Financial Management
- Higher Certificate in Office Administration
- National Diploma in Financial Accounting
By getting a matric certificate, you will be achieving something great. You will have a new sense of confidence knowing that you have new opportunities to explore.
It also means that you will have a higher chance of success. This is because you can further your studies, find employment and build a future.
Jan Badenhorst, CEO of Matric College, discusses everything you need to know about Adult Matric
Author: Andrea Frisby
Last Updated: Elzanne Van Niekerk