New CAPS Subjects: Wholesale and retail
Date Published: December 15, 2020
The Minister of Education, Angie Motshekga has announced the addition of 13 new subjects in the CAPS curriculum.
Here is everything you need to know about Wholesale and retail as a subject.
- The benefits
- What is wholesale and retail about?
- Topics that Will Be Covered
- Time Allocation
- Content overview
The Benefit of The Added Subjects
The 13 new added subjects will equip grade 8 and 9 learners for a specific trade or career if they decide to leave school before matric.
With Wholesale and retail as a subject, school-leavers will be skilled enough to begin working in the industry of wholesale and retail.
What is wholesale and retail about?
Wholesale and retail focuses on the following:
- Understanding of the industry
- The need for profit and preventing losses to the business
- The need and importance of counting stock, merchandising and recording sales.
This subject also teaches learners about accepting payment in a manner that promotes customer service and minimises losses.
The subject has been designed to equip students with basic knowledge and skills to be able to enter the world of work through employment in the wholesale and retail industry.
Topics that will be covered
These are the topics that will be covered in Wholesale and retail:
- The industry
- Target markets
- Customer service
- Recording sales
The subject wholesale and retail aims at assisting learners to gain to following skills:
- Explain the role of all role players and stakeholders in the industry.
- Analyse an Income Statement.
- Identify the requirements of outlets in terms of their service levels and product offering according to their target market.
- Receive stock and explain requirements for the dispatch of stock.
- Explain the concept and methods of merchandising products on shelves along with the importance of displaying prices and methods of ticketing displays.
- Explain why businesses promote, how to reach targeted markets and how to display promotional items.
- Explain how to record sales, accept and record payment and cash up and deposit takings.
In a five-day cycle, 2 hours must be dedicated to this subject for all the information to be taught and practical work to be completed.
Here is the content overview of Wholesale and retail as released by the Department of Education.
Author: Omega Fumba