Matric Exams will NOT be “trimmed”: Are students ready?

Matric Exams will NOT be “trimmed”: Are students ready?

Date Published: September 6, 2020

The minister of Education, Angie Motshekga, has notified the public that despite the trimming of the syllabus, matric exams will not be trimmed. 

This comes shortly after the Department of Basic Education released their ‘recovery’ initiative aimed at cutting down on the current curriculums. 

Umulusi agreed with the minister. Examinations will not be tampered with, despite the severe disruptions.

Here is what you need to know about the changes

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, schools have been drastically affected and so has the academic year. 

Over and above their support initiatives, The Department of Education has produced a 3 tier plan in preparation for a second viral wave. 

The risk adjustments

The risk adjustments will work as follows:

  • Low road: will take place when 60% or more teaching hours are lost 
  • Middle road: when 30-59% of teaching hours are lost 
  • High road: Less than 30% of teaching hours are lost 

Following is the Department of Educations plan for the disruptions. For more information click here

How will papers be verified?

Usually papers are verified physically. However, with the new coronavirus regulations, the Department of Education will be turning to a desktop based evaluation. 

This will include in-depth quality assurance. If there are any doubt that the desktop evaluation has not been thorough enough, a physical verification will be done. 

Assessment changes for grades 1-11

Below are the changes that will be experienced by grades 1-11.

  • SBA for grades R-3: This curriculum will remain unchanged. Final marks will be calculated from terms 1,3 and 4
  • SBA for grades 4-9: The SBA for these age groups will make up 80% of the final mark.End year testing will account for a further 20%.
  • Final exams for grades 10 and 11: 
    • Final promotional exams will be replaced by class tests. All of which will be school-based
    • 80% of the final mark will be SBA whilst the remaining 20% will be made up by the final class test. 
    • LO and other elective subjects will take form of a class test 
    • Core subjects will be written as an examination

Final Matric Exams

Here are the changes being made to the martic curriculum:

  • No exams will be trimmed
  • Results will be released later than previously expected 
  • The preliminary release date for results is the 22nd of February 2021
  • The final examination period is from 5 November-15 December 2020
  • Marking will conclude on the 22nd of January 2021

In closing

Despite all the turbulence caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, Angie Motshekga believes more than enough has been done to help the matric class of 2020.

The minister suggested that she will not be surprised if this year’s matric group produces higher marks than classes before. 

For more on the Woza Matrics initiative click here

Author: Andrea Frisby