South Africa has 26 Public Universities spread across 9 provinces. Here is the full list of Universities in South Africa:
- University of Cape Town
- University of Stellenbosch
- University of the Western Cape
- Cape Peninsula University of Technology
- University of Pretoria
- Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University
- University of the Witwatersrand
- University of Johannesburg
- Tshwane University of Technology
- Vaal University of Technology
- The University of South Africa
- University of KwaZulu-Natal
- University of Zululand
- Durban University of Technology.
- Mangosuthu University of Technology.
- University of Fort Hare
- Rhodes University
- Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University
- Walter Sisulu University
What Is A University Of Technology?
Universities and Universities of Technology offer qualifications ranging from Higher Certificates up to Doctoral Degrees. While traditional Universities offer mainly academic studies and research, here are some of the characteristics of a University of Technology:
- Focus on technology innovation
- Focus on technology transfer
- Offers career-oriented educational programmes
- Engage with industry to produce innovative problem-solving research
- Programmes offered include work-integrated learning
What Are The Top 10 Universities In South Africa?
According to topuniversities.com, here are the top 10 Universities in South Africa:
Which University In South Africa Has The Largest Number Of Students?
The University of South Africa (UNISA) has the most number of students with over 400,000 students. Here are the top 10 biggest universities in South Africa in terms of student enrolment:
NUMBER OF STUDENTS (APPROX)
How Many Points Are Needed To Enter University
- 40% for your Home Language
- 50% for four other Higher Credit subjects
- 30% for two other subjects
However, your entrance to the University of your choice will depend on the specific requirements of the programme that you want to study. You will need to find out from your University their exact requirements.
Which Other Learning Institutions Offer Distance Learning?
There are a number of colleges that offer distance learning. Here are some of them:
- Matric College
- Skills Academy
- Bellview Institute of Distance Learning
- The Learning Group
- Ember Academy
- The Décor School
Matric College is another distance learning institution for those who want to write their Matric for the first time or to upgrade their Matric. The College also offers scarce skills courses through the ICB, National Qualifications as well as Short Courses. Your study material is couriered to you as soon as you successfully register. Here is how you can register:
- Contacting us on our landline
- Complete a registration form online
- Book a callback
- Contact our Course Experts directly
Skills Academy is also a distance learning institution. The Academy is well known for offering intense student support. When you study with Skills Academy, another benefit is that you will not pay for the rest of the duration of your course if you finish your studies early.
What this means is that if you are studying for a course that has a 12-month duration, and you finish in 10 months, you will not pay for the remaining two (2) months.
Bellview Institute of Distance Learning
Bellview Institute of Distance Learning is also among the top distance learning colleges in South Africa. The college was established in 2016 and offers accredited courses. Accredited courses are programmes of study that would have passed the quality check conducted by education authorities. Bellview Institute of Distance Learning offers the following:
- Career-focused courses
- Professional Service
- Quality education
The Learning Group
The Learning Group offers courses ranging from Beauty Therapy to Writing School. Known for their artistic outcomes, they now offer many more creative courses. If you are interested in any creative courses, this is the place for you. Have a look at all they offer here.
Ember Academy is a student support-driven Academy. The Academy offers career-focused courses. All students are helped until they pass, no matter how long it takes. Their courses include scarce skills and qualifications like Accounting and Bookkeeping.
Click here to see all courses that the Ember Academy has to offer.
The Décor School
The Décor School is a division of The Learning Group, a distance learning college specialising in Creative Studies since 1984. It offers students a range of premium Interior Decorating and Design Courses, designed to cater to both the beginner and the more advanced interior designer.
Is Distance Learning For Me?
Yes, distance learning is for you, here is why:
- It is flexible
- Set up your own study timetable
- Study anywhere that you may want
- Study in a space that suits you
- You can work at the same time as you study
- Get a promotion at work
- Convince your employer that you can upskill yourself
- Cut costs
- Tuition fees are affordable
- No transport costs as there are no classes
- No textbooks to buy as the College will supply
- Adheres to COVID-19 protocols
- There are no physical classes
- There are no physical interactions between peers and lecturers or amongst peers
- You grow your skills
- Time management skills
- Technical skills
- Communication skills
Author: Collin Wilbesi
Editor: Sive Ncanywa
Date : July 22, 2022