How to replace your matric certificate

How to replace your matric certificate

You might have misplaced or accidentally damaged your matric certificate. A matric certificate is very important. It is the minimum requirement for most jobs in South Africa. If something has happened to your matric certificate, you still have a chance to get another one.

What to do if you've lost your matric certificate?

You can apply for a replacement at the Department of Basic Education or the Provincial Education Department. Applicants need to complete a replacement application form.

lf your certificate is not lost but it is damaged, the damaged certificate has to be returned to the DBE or PED. If you want to apply for a matric certificate replacement, you need to make sure you have all the necessary documents.

How to apply to replace my matric certificate?

A replacement matric certificate takes between 4 to 6 weeks. To apply for a replacement certificate, here’s what you can do:

  • you can download the application form online. A replacement certificate is not free. Applicants have to pay a fee of R118.00. 
  • Applicants can send their application forms to the DBE/PED office through post mail. Or, they could go to the closest DBE/PED office and submit all the necessary documents.
  • Applicants need an  affidavit that states what happened to the certificate. 
  • A certified ID copy will be required. 
  • You may pay and apply online through the government e-portal.

Can I make changes to my matric certificate?

You may make changes to your matric certificate under the following circumstances.  If you want to change your name, you have to go to the DBE/PED offices for an interview.

No changes will be made if the original copy is not returned. This applies to a matric certificate re-issue, not a matric certificate replacement. Candidates have a 12 month period after certificates have been issued to make changes. 

If there is an issue with a subject mark on your matric certificate, changes have to be made within 6 months. This applies to the original issue date of your matric certificate.

A candidate may apply to change the gender on their matric certificate by applying to the Department of Basic Education. This has to be approved by the Department of Home Affairs. The gender of the applicant will be updated on the Umalusi data-base.

To find out more about getting a matric certificate or a re-issue, contact the Department of Basic Education.

Author: Omega Fumba 

Date Published: 31 July 2020