Department of Basic Education Celebrated for Matric Finals Readiness
Date Published: November 3, 2020
With the Matric Finals set to start this Thursday, the Department of Education has been praised by the Portfolio Committee on Basic Education for getting the class of 2020 ready to write their end-year exams.
The 6-week long examination period is set to start on the 5th of November and conclude on the 15th of December.
What you need to know
Here is everything you need to know about the matric class readiness:
- A lot of work was done to ensure that the class of 2020 would be ready for their exams: The Department of Education has ensured that a great deal of work has been done to ensure that the class of 2020 passes their exams. This included the change of the November examination period to a later date.
- Over 1-million students are set to write their matric finals: Over 1 million full and part-time students are set to write their matric exams this month. This high volume of students writing is due to the cancellation of the July examinations.
- The class of 2020 has completed their curriculum: The Department of Education alongside Umalusi has ensured that the matric class of 2020 has finished its curriculum and they are now set for the end-year examination period.
- Very few matriculants are registering to write the mathematics exam: The Department of Education has seen a serious decline in the number of students registering for core mathematics. Instead, many matriculants have opted for mathematics literacy as an alternative to core mathematics.
- Extra examiners and invigilators have been employed: Due to the serious social distancing regulations put in place by the government, matric students will be split amongst various venues to be able to adhere to the social distancing protocols. This means that more invigilators will be needed to ensure that each venue has the correct amount of academic staff.
- Umalusi is satisfied with the readiness of all 9 provinces: Umalusi is satisfied with the readiness shown by each PED and believes that all 9 provinces are ready to merge the July and November examination periods. The end-year examinations commence this Thursday, the 5th of November.
- The examination period will be closely monitored: The Portfolio Committee will closely monitor the examination period to ensure that everything goes as planned.
Author: Andrea Frisby