13 New Subjects to be Added to CAPS Curriculum
Date Published: December 1, 2020
The minister of education, Angie Motshekga, has announced the introduction of 13 new subjects to the CAPS curriculum.
These subjects will be available for grades 8 and 9 and thus promote grade 9 as a potential year of career preparation.
The subjects are:
Preparing Grade 9 Students For Careers
The 13 new subjects that are being added to the school curriculum to help prepare grade 9 students for possible careers.
This new initiative will give a new meaning to the grade 9 certificate as students will now be able to enhance their skill sets in new subjects. This means that if students are to leave school in grade 9, they will still be able to build a successful career.
South Africa's Drop Out Rate
With all the students who start school in South Africa, less than 50% will make it to their matric year.
The addition of these 13 new subjects will give school-leavers new opportunities to succeed career-wise without having completed their schooling.
These practical subjects will set students up for the trade industry and they will be able to start making their own money if they drop out of school after grade 9.
The 13 New Subjects
- Agricultural Studies: Will prepare students for the agricultural industry.
- Ancillary Health Care: This will help students understand the meaning of health and wellness.
- Art and Design: To give students a deeper understanding of art and design and to set them up for a career or further education in this field.
- Civil Technology: To help students get into learnerships or apprenticeship in this field after they have finished school.
- Consumer Studies: Give students a deeper understanding of consumer behaviour, global warming, design features, etc.
- Digital Technology: To learn how to create, store, distribute and manage information on a computer whilst also learning how to solve real-life problems.
- Early Childhood Development: To help prepare students who want to go into ECD as a career.
- Electrical Technology: To give learners foundation knowledge in electronics and other electrical technology.
- Hairdressing, Beauty and Nail Technology: This subject will give learners the skill set for the personal care industry.
- Hospitality Studies: To get a deeper understanding of the hospitality industry.
- Maintenance and Upholstery: To acquire the fundamental skill set needed for a career and occupational opportunities in this field.
- Mechanical Technology: To learn all the necessary skills in mechanical technology to prepare students for a career in this field.
- Wholesale and Retail: This subject will assist learners in the field of retail and help promote them in a wholesale and retail career field.
Author: Andrea Frisby